Thursday, June 23, 2011

Hope this rocks you like it did me...

Have you noticed any pretty rocks lately?  If you walk the beach or gravel road, or keep an aquarium, or child, you probably take rocks for granite - I meant granted; you hardly notice them.  But if you've visited the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History and gazed at the Hope Diamond, or other fabulous representations of precious and semi precious gems, you know what I mean by pretty rocks.  My interest in collecting and appreciating rocks goes back to childhood, while combing the shores of Lake Superior for driftwood and assorted flat rocks, geodes and volcanic rocks.  My collections filled me with wonder about nature and the world and God.  In fact a prized possession, which came along with my darling husband, is a huge hunk of limestone, from the Mississippian period, displaying a stunning arrangement of Crinoids. 

I opened several bags of small, smooth rocks yesterday, while preparing for VBS (that's Vacation Bible School for any atheists:) as I will be hosting a "Rock Quarry" in the Market Place of our local Nazareth.  The same darling husband pointed out this morning, that he picked up one of said bags of rocks, and read "Made in China." Now I understand why some things are mass produced there, but how absurd is it that we have to import rocks from there, too?  I've attempted to boycott them various times for civil rights issues, but have you ever tried?  I'll tell you that the stone age awaits you.  If we'd all done that, perhaps we'd have realized we have plenty of rocks here to sell, or done something productive with them.  We aparently aren't making American flag pins either, since all of the ones I've seen say "made in China," so how about we try to find some local raw materials and make our own partiotic symbols and flags?  Then, set up a table near the 4th of July parade and sell them as "Made in America." While you're out doing that, pick up some rocks, wash or polish them, bag them up around a pound's worth, tie them in plastic netting bags (like your small red potatoes come in) and put them for sale on e-bay, since aparently there's a market for them.  We've got to start somewhere.
I'm sure you can do better than this!

No comments:

Post a Comment